Texas is the perfect destination if you're a Canadian snowbird looking for a warm place to spend the winter months. Not only is the weather sunny and warm, but the state is also home to some of the best attractions in the country. From world-class museums and golf courses to delicious Tex-Mex cuisine and vibrant nightlife, there's something for everyone in Texas.
With so many great snowbird destinations to choose from, you're sure to find the perfect spot to escape the cold this winter. So pack your bags and head south for some sun-filled fun in the Lone Star State.
What kind of weather to expect in Texas during the winter?
Texas weather might seem downright balmy if you're used to the biting cold of a Canadian winter. But don't be fooled—Texans know how to make the most of their mild winters. In North Texas, you'll find ice skating rinks, hayrides, and Christmas lights galore.
On the other hand, further south, in Austin and San Antonio, you can warm up with a bowl of chilli or some Tex-Mex food. So whether you're looking for a taste of winter wonderland or just trying to escape the cold, Texas has something to offer. Just be sure to pack your sunscreen—it's still sunny down here!
The Best Types of Accommodation in Texas for Canadian Snowbirds
Texas is a popular destination for those looking to escape the winter blues. But what type of accommodation should you choose if you're planning a trip to the Lone Star State? Here are some of the best options for Canadian snowbirds looking to make the most of their time in Texas.
One popular option for Canadian snowbirds heading to Texas is an RV park. There are RV parks all across the state, so you're sure to find one that's perfect for your needs. These parks offer great amenities like swimming pools, laundry facilities, and Wi-Fi. And they're often located close to attractions like golf courses and beaches. So, an RV park could be a great option if you're looking for a convenient and affordable place to stay.
Canadian snowbirds have many lodging options when visiting Texas, including renting a vacation house. This could be anything from a condo on the beach to a ranch house in the Hill Country. Vacation rentals offer the benefit of giving you your own space during your trip. And they often come with great amenities like fully-equipped kitchens and private pools. So, a vacation rental could be the perfect option if you're looking for a home away from home.
If you're looking for something a little more luxurious, you might consider staying in a hotel. Texas has no shortage of great hotels, from high-end resorts to more affordable options. Many offer great amenities like on-site restaurants, bars, fitness centres, and spas. So, a hotel could be a perfect choice if you're looking for a relaxing vacation.
In addition to hotels, motels are a great choice for Canadian snowbirds. Motels are usually more affordable than hotels and offer similar amenities. They're often located a bit further from attractions and activities. A motel could be a smart choice if you're looking for a place to crash after a long day.
If you're the outdoorsy type, then camping might be a fantastic option for you. There are plenty of great camping spots all across Texas. So, if you're looking for a more adventurous vacation, Texas is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. And, with mild winters, it's the perfect time to explore all that the Lone Star State has to offer while camping. From hiking to fishing and bird watching, you'll be happy to enjoy the great outdoors in Texas.
So, if you're planning a trip to the Lone Star State this winter, check out all your accommodation options before making your final decision.
Where to Stay in Texas as a Canadian Snowbird?
There are a few factors to consider when deciding where to stay in Texas as a Canadian snowbird.
Do you want to be near the beach? The city? Or do you prefer a more rural setting? Here are some of the best places in Texas for Canadian snowbirds:
Corpus Christi is a coastal city located in southeastern Texas. It's known for its beautiful beaches, great fishing, and abundance of birdwatching opportunities. It's also home to the famous USS Lexington Museum, a must-see for any history buff. The average winter temperature in Corpus Christi is a comfortable 20 degrees Celsius, making it the perfect place to escape the cold weather back home.
Galveston Island is another excellent choice for Canadian snowbirds looking for a warm winter getaway. This island city is located just off the coast of Houston.
It offers plenty of things to do, including participating in the Free ArtWalk (presented every 6–8 weeks), exploring historic downtown Galveston, or simply relaxing on one of the many beaches. The average winter temperature in Galveston is 17 degrees Celsius.
If you're looking for a more urban setting, then The Woodlands may be the place for you. This planned community located just outside of Houston offers all the amenities of a big city without all the hustle and bustle.
The Woodlands is also home to several golf courses, making it an excellent destination for any golf enthusiasts out there. The average winter temperature in The Woodlands is 18 degrees Celsius.
As the second-most populous city in Texas, San Antonio has no shortage of things to do and see. From its world-famous River Walk to its iconic Alamo, there's something for everyone in San Antonio.
And with an average temperature of 20 degrees Celsius in December, you're sure to enjoy some warm weather during your stay.
If you're looking for a more low-key destination, Brownsville may be just what you're looking for. Beautiful beaches and excellent birdwatching opportunities can be found in this small city at the very tip of Texas.
And with an average temperature of 21 degrees Celsius during the winter, you'll be able to enjoy some truly balmy weather during your stay.
Located in southern Texas, McAllen is another great option for Canadian snowbirds looking for a warm escape from the winter cold. As one of the warmest places in Texas, McAllen boasts an average December temperature of 22 degrees Celsius. And with its close proximity to Mexico, McAllen is also a great place for those who want to experience some Mexican culture without travelling too far from home.
As the capital of Texas, Austin is one of the most popular destinations for Canadian snowbirds. And with its vibrant music scene and lively nightlife, it's easy to see why. Austin is also home to some of the best restaurants in Texas, so you'll never go hungry during your stay. In December, the average temperature drops to a pleasant 17 degrees Celsius so that you can relax in the milder climate.
If you're looking for a quiet retreat, many more charming small towns throughout Texas would be perfect for you.
What Activities to Do in Texas as a snowbird?
Texas is full of things to see and do, no matter what your interests are. If you love being outdoors, there are plenty of hiking and biking trails to explore, as well as numerous state parks and national forests.
For history buffs, there are several important historical sites scattered throughout the state, including the Alamo in San Antonio and the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library in Austin.
Here are eight great things to add to your Texas bucket list:
1. Visit the Alamo and San Antonio's River Walk: No trip to Texas is complete without a visit to the Alamo and a stroll along San Antonio's River Walk. The Alamo is one of the most famous historic sites in the United States, and the River Walk is a great place to grab a bite to eat or do some shopping.
2. Check out Space Center Houston: If you're interested in space exploration, be sure to add Space Center Houston to your list of places to visit. Located just outside of Houston, Space Center Houston is home to NASA's Johnson Space Center and is a great place to learn about America's space program.
3. Go on a road trip down Route 66: One of the best ways to see Texas is by taking a road trip down Route 66. Start in Amarillo and make your way east towards Dallas, stopping at small towns and attractions along the way.
4. Experience a rodeo in Fort Worth: Fort Worth is known as the "City of Cowboys and Culture," so it's only fitting that you experience a rodeo while you're in town. Head over to Will Rogers Memorial Center to catch a rodeo event, or visit one of the many cowboy museums and art galleries located throughout the city. You can also drink and dance the country-western two-step at Billy Bob's Texas, the "World's Largest Honky-Tonk."
5. Take a walk through Big Bend National Park: Located in southwest Texas near the border with Mexico, Big Bend National Park is one of the largest national parks in the United States. With its towering mountains, canyons, desert landscapes, and abundance of wildlife, Big Bend is truly a sight to behold.
6. Visit San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas: Located just outside of Houston, San Jacinto Monument commemorates the Battle of San Jacinto, which was fought on April 21st, 1836. The monument stands 567 feet tall, making it taller than any other monument in Texas. Nearby, you'll find Battleship Texas, which served in both World War I and World War II.
7. Shop till you drop in Dallas: Dallas is a shopper's paradise, and you'll find everything from high-end designer stores to local boutiques throughout the city. For a truly unique shopping experience, check out the Dallas Arts District, which is home to numerous art galleries and museums.
8. Sip on some wine in Fredericksburg: Located in the Texas Hill Country, Fredericksburg is home to many vineyards and wineries. Spend a day touring the local wineries, and stop by the Hill Country Herb Garden for a taste of their delicious lavender mimosa.
As a Canadian snowbird, there's no shortage of things to do in Texas during the winter. From exploring historic sites and museums to enjoying the beach or doing some shopping, you'll find that there's something for everyone in this great state.
What are the best places to eat in Texas for Canadian snowbirds?
Texas is home to some of the best food in the United States. From Tex-Mex specialties to barbecue favourites, you'll find something to satisfy your appetite no matter where you go.
And, if you're a Canadian snowbird, there are some dishes that you shouldn't miss. Here are some of the best places to eat in Texas during the winter months.
If you're looking for a taste of Tex-Mex, you must try The Original Ninfa's on Navigation. This Houston institution is known for its delicious enchiladas and tacos. And it's the perfect place to warm up on a cold day.
If you're looking for some of the best barbecue in Texas, then you have to try The Salt Lick BBQ. This restaurant is located in the hill country outside of Austin and is known for its delicious brisket and ribs. So, if you're a barbecue fan, this is one spot you won't want to miss.
If you're in the mood for seafood, then you need to visit Gaido's Seafood Restaurant. This Galveston institution is known for its fresh seafood and beautiful views. So, if you're looking for a taste of the coast, this is the perfect spot.
Let the Texan charm win you over this winter!
Spending the winter in Texas is a great way to escape the cold weather up north. With its diverse landscape and wide range of activities, there's something for everyone in the Lone Star State. So whether you're looking for a relaxing beach vacation or an action-packed city getaway, make sure to add Texas to your list of potential destinations. You won't be disappointed!
Don't forget to stay protected while spending the winter in Texas.
Contact a soNomad agent today to help you find the right travel insurance policy to fit your needs.